Instead, I embarked on a dyeing rampage, sacrificing at least a good pound of fiber to the gods of Saturday Afternoon Boredom. It was much better than getting the oil in the car changed.
My, er, victims-- the Spunky Eclectic roving that my spinning pal just sent me, a bit of handpun silk, and a skein each of handspun colonial superwash and Corriedale.
It's mad scientist time as I get ready to go to work on the roving...
... While the handspun simmers in a fragrant bath of water and vinegar. Good grief, what have I brought upon myself?
I hate wrapping it up in a Saran Wrap. There's just no tidy way to do it.
Several hours and a colossal mess later, I have:
Here's the superwash, possibly my favorite of the four. I kind of went crazy here, pouring colors on top of colors and letting everything run together, so I'm afraid this is a one-shot yarn. That's a bummer, because I want ten more exactly like it.
The Corriedale. The brown bits were olive green, until the dye ran on accident and I decided I liked brown better.
I'm glad I decided to dye the silk; it was hard for me to spin and I really didn't do a very good job of it. I'd cringe a little when I saw it peeping out of the bin, thinking that I'd made a terrible mess out of good fiber. Now that it's chartreuse and olive green, I feel much better about it. Sorry if the colors are a bit hard to make out, it's just really, really shiny.
Join me next Saturday, when maybe I will singlehandedly re-roof the house.